Students with Special Needs Policy
To Provide support and assistance to students having difficulties accessing the curriculum due to disabilities, disorders and/or syndromes
Students with special needs, for the purposes of this policy, include: students with mental health problems [eg depression]; students with medical health issues [eg autism, Aspergers, disgraphia, dislexia] information processing difficulties, language disorders, sensory impairments and students living in difficult circumstances.
- Some students have special needs as a result of disabilities, disorders, syndromes, circumstances at XJS.
- These students will require support and assistance to realise their potential
- Staff, students and family need to be aware of strategies to identify and respond on an individual needs basis
- To improve the learning environment and learning outcomes for students with special needs
- To implement and maintain a whole school approach to address the specific needs of students with disabilities, disorders, syndromes
- To implement and maintain an active and confidential Register of Students with Special Needs.
- To advise at the beginning of every school year of students with special needs that they will be teaching
- To empower students to be proactive in problem solving associated with problems they may encounter such as bullying
- To heighten awareness at a whole school level
- To provide skills and strategies and a support network to enhance learning, social and emotional outcomes for students with special needs.
- Identify the needs of our students and develop strategies to meet these specific needs
- All students with special needs to have strategies to deal with issues related to their specific requirements
- Teachers to recognise that all students require ongoing, individual assistance
- To improve home and school liaison
Staff program –
- Relevant training be made available to all teachers of students with special needs to improve learning outcomes
- Staff to be active in reporting potential learning difficulties in students
- Teachers to be active in implementing individual learning programs for students with special needs
- Teachers help formulate and support the individual student with special needs learning program.
- Staff will maintain regular contact with parents and guardians and feedback to teachers as required.
Procedures for Students –
- Make it known to class teachers if you are experiencing difficulties in learning or at home
- Understand that assistance is available if the school is aware of your needs/difficulties. Report to the class teachers and let them know the difficulties being experienced.
Procedures for Parents –
- If you suspect your child is in need of assistance or has an existing/identified problem please contact the class teachers and they will liaise with the principal of the school and relevant agencies. The school will liaise with parents on a regular basis for as long as required.
- 教师积极地为有特殊需求的学生制定个性化的学习计划 。